Monday, June 15, 2009

The Move to CLE

Moving from Houston to Cleveland (CLE) was extremely stressful for several reasons:

1. My movers are the biggest scammers I have encountered in life. I booked them through BBB under "Budget Van Lines" but Budget subcontracted my move to a Houston Moving Co. "American Knights". The pick up (11 days earlier than when I was expected to move) was fine. The very next day I wanted to check where my belongings were located ie was it on the road or was it sitting in Houston. The person I spoke too imformed my stuff wasn't going to leave Houston until 4 days before I leave Houston. I know it will never arrive the same time I will in CLE. I was rudely told it was "my fault" that I didn't call the Co. earlier to ask them to ship out earlier. Dude I said its your job to arrange the shipments not the customer.

After making a huge fuss and arguing with the owner, even threating to pick up my stuff myself and move it myself. He agreed that it will arrive on June 11.

2. Roadtripping with your parents.

I can't remember when the last time I took a road trip with my parents. It's been a really long time. The fartherest we have ever driven together on a vacation was probably to San Antonio. Driving with my parents now is so much different that driving as a kid. This trip was my dad's first time seeing a GPS in use. He was in awe of such amazing technology: it talked, it gave directions, it showed pictures and most of all it never got us Lost. We drove from Houston through Texarkana stopped in Little Rock, Louisville KY and finally Independence OH (suburb of CLE). We drove through pouring rain, where the only thing you could see was blurrs of red tail lights in front of you. It was also along a rocky, hilly sharp turning cliffs. My parents I learned: drive super fast and like to pound the brake petal to stop. It was really rough on the stomach for me.

3. My movers arrive in CLE and they claim the move from the docking station of my highrise to the 12th floor is way to far than they expected there was this long underground hallway then to another elevator to the 12th floor, and wanted an extra $200 on top of the$1400 I paid them to move from Houston. My parents argued with them and they agreed to return $100 to us and they will leave my stuff at the freight elevator. Thank God a couple of good samritans helped us move the stuff from the dock up to my apt on the 12th floor.
I got my stuff, but it was all beat up: my fairly new mattress set had torn the lining on my box spring. My floor lamp was missing a screw.

With all that done my apt is starting to shape up like home. I also have 2 Anes interns living with me at my new apt. So its starting to brighten up.







2 comments:

bgetter said...

I have heard so many bad things about movers, and it saddens me that you took such care with the BBB and still got the shaft.

Cinnamon Bagels said...

Yea I now suggest everyone if you can move it yourself. No one will take care for your stuff as yourself. Even if its harder and more trouble.