This week had to be the longest week I could ever remember. We started off Monday with Ethics & Drug abus lectures and talks with the chief residents. We also started ACLS Day #1. So for the most part ACLS was taught by my Anesthesia Assistant Program Director who has a German last name and demeanor. He has Brownish blonde hair and has a face &body that looks like Jack Nicholson. He's pretty tough on us harping us "those contractions are inadequate" "I can't hear the clicking" . Many times was my compressions "not adequate" Imean the dummies were on tables and as you guys know I'm vertically challenged so that I had to stand on my tip toes to compress. So we finished off with practice cases, showed us some intubation models and harped that we must know ACLS b/c it is essential in the OR especially when your patient codes on the table. So we practiced on tables.
Day 2 ACLS:
It was the megacode. Everyone was stressed b/c German attending was going to grade us. I frantically studied and re-studied the algorithms. We divided into 2 groups and we each rotated as team leader. My attending at times gives you 2minutes if you fault or do a grave mistake you have to remediate the megacode. Luckily I didn't have to repeat and he gave me and easy pass.
Wednesday and Thursday
PALS on both days. I would say it was the worst, it was confusing and the people are crazy nit picky about how you do compressions with babies models. I had to remediate 1 person BLS for an infant b/c i was 2 seconds off of respirations. Luckily the rest of the testing stations I got easy graders who also gave us prompts and our group had no problems the rest of the day. I would say PALS was the most stressful out of this week. I have so sleep deprived just trying to read these manuals and do the study cases and memorize alogorithms. The sad part is that I haven't started working yet.
Tomorrow Friday- I more computer training and then at night I'm off to Chicken wing and Wine get together with the interns. So most of the same interns go out, and I feel like I still don't know a couple of the interns who don't go out with us or talk to me. The plan is to pick up some wine and dessert from Whole Foods and head over to the interns house for get-together.
July 1st I'm starting CORS - colorectal surgery floor medicine. I'm basically assigned to a resident and fellow and we work as a team. I mostly handle the floor calls while they are in the OR and take care of post-op colorectal surgery patients. its 6am-6pm with rounding starting at 5:30am. I hope this all goes well and I do screw it up completely.

2 comments:
yep. PALS was tough to go through. I also had to repeat the 2 person infant CPR because I forgot to lift the chin while listening for breath sounds.
It sounds like they were tough on you for ACLS. I can't believe you went through 2 courses in 1 week. That must be exhausting.
Yikes! rounding at 5:30 am ! Do you have to be there at 5:30 am or do you have to pre-round also? I start on inpatient service and we have morning report at 7 am and do table rounds at 10 am (while eating some snacks/coffee). I have call q 7 days on average for intern year. During July, I have call 3 times.
Wow Jen that's nice to have pre round snacks. I think i have to be there at 5:30 to pre-round then round with surgery attending by 6:30
Post a Comment