I left Dallas early this AM at 6:45 and said goodbye to my Kenyan family. I will surely miss them they were such a lovely family. One thing I sure won't miss is sleeping in the heat. I don't what's with the people I and Melodie have been living with this last month. They sleep in 80deg and 82 deg set thermostats. I am roasting on my bed at night. Its just completely uncomfortable. Truly nothing is better than your own house. So as I drive down 35-S on my merry way to Austin, I pick up a hitch hiker aka Dina. She wanted to hitch a ride to Austin to check out craigslist cribs when she stays for her rotation next week. So Melodie became our chauffeur and drove us to around in the ghetto. At the first stop the owners left the light on in the house and we peered through the windows like thieves and took a look a Dina's housing option. It was a small house with 2 front doors. After that I stepped what felt like a ice cream cone but actually it was a dead bird..Ewww I was grossed out for the next 30 mins. It feeling was like a smush and crunch and then I saw some round thing protrude out.
Dina's next option was a 50's style house with a 50lb dog, Lola waiting to greet us. One thing I am freaked out about are big dogs and stepping on dead animals. (As a kid I accidentally stepped on lizards and frogs in the dark and I was bitten by my neighbor's dog when I was playing in their yard.)
So a popular thing people down in Austin do for recreation is Tube. Tubing is basically sitting in a rubber tire tube and floating down a river drinking beer along the entire 3mile river. It was overcast and drizzling, but we forged ahead and got there rented our tubes. First thing we were wondered how do you even get into the tube? After making a dive into the tube we drifted along a snails pace into river all separated. Then it started to pour and thunder and Dina and Melodie brought their phones and cameras. So we hurriedly left the water with a lot of effort and put up the cameras. It got a lot more interesting and fun starting here. So after starting out pretty well we were able to keep together for a long while before we hit a shoot which is a rapid rush of the springwater through a narrow tunnel. Basically you need the currents to carry you away further down the river. Howevere we were caught in eddie currents and would cycle around the stagnant water for several times until a nice 12 year old boy pulled me and Dina back into the center and away from the eddies.
So after some more tumbling and flipping over we ended our trip with some funny stories and I settled in the rest of my night in Austin.
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Sounds like y'all had a lot of fun in Austin. Maybe your new apartment will be a bit cooler than your previous place.
Post a Comment