I have 8 days left of my rotation non including weekends. Seeing that there is not much time left, I did my one night of call Ob Anesthesia with one attending I had spent the most time here. Ob-Anesthesia call is 24 hrs. I worked from 630 to 3pm in gen surgery ORs and at 3pm I started OB call. Call basically consists of 1 faculty 2 residents usually CA-1 (PGY-2 but 1st year in Anesthesia, b/c intern year is spent rotating through various specialities) and several CRNAs. I basically spent the night being the residents personal servant. I helped prepped pts in the OR for anesthesia, I did some more spinal blocks, and made sure the attending saw that I was working. The attending told me I didn't have to present for every case so at 12 pm I took a break until 445am. I saw a twin-Csection, a placenta previa, and suspected chorioamniotitis.
By the end of the of call, I asked my attending for a rec letter and got a yes. So after 2 weeks I am finally getting the hang of this place. I know it takes exactly 20 minutes leave home to make it exactly on time to Parkland, that it takes me 12 minutes to walk from the parking lot to the hospital, and how to find an OR to sit in on.
I learned that no matter what I do, some attending will still treat me as invisible, and that's okay, b/c the best thing to do is move on and find a better one. Some residents will still ignore me b/c but that's okay too, and I just hop into another OR. I really don't understand how I can be in the room and be helpful but the resident will not tell me what's going on or why such actions are taken for the anesthesia plan. I just hate the feeling that you are not part of the team and just excluded from what's going on. As I look back I think my time at JPS was really medical student friendly place. I always felt that I was part of the team no matter which service I was on.
Tuesday, August 12, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
Just letting you know I am reading...
Post a Comment