Friday, August 24, 2007

Kids are Like Puppies : )

Kids are like puppies in a pet store, they are really cute and fun to play with at the store but I wouldn't want to take one home with me.

In the mist of the mundane activities of outpatient clinic, cute- well behaved kids just bring a big fat smile to me. Lately kids are coming in droves to squeeze in their school physical & shots before the start of school this Monday. There were all sorts of cute puppies, I mean kids this week. We had quiet ones who read books while waiting for me & the Dr., 4th grade girls who dressed like their moms, who dressed like they were 18, and then we had the kids who are completely nuts and can't sit still for a second for me to examine them ie ADHD kids. Trying to examine ADHD kids is like trying examine a kid at the jungle gym all the while chasing after them with with your otoscope and stethoscope. I would have one ADHD kid sitting on the table and 1 s later that get distracted by their parents or other siblings and are just bouncing from wall to wall. Mom later explained to me that during vacation, the kids are off the ADHD medicine. In the mist of this playground aka Peds clinic I also saw some sick babies. Yea babies are cute too but man they are just big fat petri dishes.

I examined 2 babies with URI [upper respiratory tract infections] using a tongue blade and they just laid a big cough right in my face. I felt like was just sprayed with 10^14 colonies of bacteria all on me. Well to no surprise I woke up the next day with a big headache and a sore throat. OH NO! I was getting sick. Luckily I take my vitamins regularly, supplemented with Extra Vitamin C when I feel like I coming down with some cold. So my minor cold lasted 2 days, but during those days I just felt dizzy and weak and massively sleepy--those darn cytokines & TNF were kicking in.

Kids also are super excited about stickers they get at the Dr.'s office. I mean I would be too. You guys should see these cool looking stickers the Dr.'s got. There's Shrek, Dora, Ratioulle, Spiderman, Barbie, Sponge Bob, I mean they're pretty big and some are really shiny and glittery,and even 2D looking. So a neat trick I like to use when I examine kids, is that I tell them if they don't behave they won't get stickers. Yea so some of you may think that's mean, but its really an empty threat, but really all Kids get stickers before they leave.

Another thing to be careful of when you examine them, is too be careful not to drop the "S-bomb." I mean "Shots" they totally freak out and some start crying even before the needles arrive if you even mention the word in front of them.

Well I'm heading to Costco this weekend to stock up on some more Vitamin C. It really works!!! Hope you guys who just took the shelf have a good weekend. :)

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

I'm not sure if you can survive here in CC because there is no CostCo. but then again, the small asian grocery store here is only 8 minutes away which is really nice.

I spent today (Saturday) at a mandatory "volunteer" event. It was a health fair and it was packed. I definitely saw a ton of kids. We were doing free sports physicals. We divided into stations so someone did eyes, someone did ears, and etc. I did pulses, BP, and lymph nodes (neck). It was nonstop. The long line of kids & parents seemed to never end. But none of them had colds (which was good).

Unknown said...

I'm typing this w/ 1 hand & the other holding baby vincent. he is definitely like a puppy...eat, sleep, pee, poop. I got this baby changing pad that does me no good...as soon as I take him off the pad he pees on the bed!! I should just sleep on plastic covers.

crescendo said...

The Asian marketplace in CC would be way too small for Schizotypal...but it did carry green tea ice cream =P And yeah, kids love stickers, so keep your pockets full of them =)