So begins the Pediatric rotation on Monday. Hmm the past few days at PCC have been uneventful albeit kinda inching towards boredom. The most interesting part of Peds is visiting the specialty clinics at Cook Children's. Yesterday I saw sick little ones in the Ped Pulmonology Clinic with varieties of Asthma, Cystic Fibrosis, and some other breathing problems. I like the specialty clinic the mostly because the kids are way sick and that keeps them sitting still, laying in mom's lap, they don't run, open and slam doors, demand for stickers like the healthier kids at PCC.
Today I confirmed what I always suspected I hate Peds. Hmm you can say its a combination of the parents, the noisiness, the coughing in your face, the incessant crying, the I' can't tell what's wrong with me because I can't talk, when you exam them. To me it seems like all kids have ADHD despite if they are actually diagnosed. Today was a busy day we're running behind and parents complain b/c of the long wait. I'm sorry, I don't recall at time when I visit my doctor I did not have to wait. News Flash: Its a fact of medicine, going to the doctor means waiting. Well this mother was a little irritated and decides to lay it on the little innocent med student -ME.
Mother: My appt was at 4:00pm , its now 5:00pm, this is the last time I'm coming here. [in a huff]
Med-student: I apologize for the wait we've been hit with a lot very sick kids today.
Mother: [in a very annoyed tone] Yea you guys are getting too busy, I can't get my child in for well child visit until October and its past his birthday ( by like 1 mo.)
Onto the exam:
S: MOM: son has rashes with pus oozing out.
O: Afebrile, VS stable:
PE: Her son has these erythematous (red) , pruitic (itchy), infected lesions on his legs that he scratches and salivates on. He looks dirty and and boogers hanging out. [These pts are my favorite :) ]
A: Son: dirty- infected excoriations
Mother: Over reacting, and angry,
P: Recommend bathing your son regularly + abtx for the infection
Mother: needs a chill pill
Well for starters mom lets bathe your kid and stop him from licking those scratches. Then possibly those scratches won't get infected and subsequently you won't have to come to the Dr. and most importantly you won't to take your anger and frustration on the innocent med student who already hates PEDS, and finally the med student can go home a happy camper.
Not to say its all bad: the fun people are the nice parents and the chubby kids. I can't resist poking at chubby kids' cheeks, and tickling them to make them laugh like the Pillsbury Dough Boy.
Tomorrow: genetics clinic.
Shout out: I saw a DE at the library today with books and computer in stow, looking all cool with her Sunglasses at top her head and getting in some serious studying. Its cool to know people actually read this blog.
Wednesday, August 15, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Its cool to know people actually read this blog.
I am bordering on addiction....
very funny! love the SOAP note! :)
technically, you should atleast give pediatrics 1 week b/f ruling it out. ;P
Post a Comment