Day 2: Meeting People
So I was told to report to “7 –Central” by 6:30 am to learn how to scrub in for surgery. This means I wake up at 5:30 am. Well It took me forever to learn that “7-Central” was actually the nurses station where all the residents congregate in the morning. So after waiting for a long time I whipped out my case files and began reading. As I was reading someone stands over my shoulder and begins reading over meà this completely annoys me and not to mention they had a really stinky BO. I could not really say “ hey you stinky, please step away from me”, since several people were nearby. The scrub tech never showed up so I went to do “rounds” with the Ob team. Rounds end at 7:30am where I had extra time 1.5hr to read today’s assigned chapters before lecture. Luckily we meet a PGY1 (intern) newly graduated from my school and she was super nice to us she was doing her Ob-Gyn residency. I was quite surprised at how nice everyone has been to me. I expect far worse : to be yelled at, severely embarrassed, and ignored. So I spent the morning in clinic with my intern and I watched her get pimped in front of the attending. She is quite bright however, whenever she was put on spot she blanks out. She was explaining the same information the attending asked her to me, and the next minute the attending asks her the same information she just explained she blanked out.
I introduced myself to everyone I met, doctors, nurses, residents ect. The more I put my name out there the more people are willing to seek me out to allow me to follow them or show me something interesting. The morning clinics were uneventful however, in one of the attending doctor’s office (she’s an ob/gyn) there was a quote on her wall stating “Women don’t have hot flashes, they have power surges” …Haha I though was pretty funny. Later that afternoon I followed a 3rd year resident from El- Salvador around on high risk pregnancy cases. She is tall and slender and very bubbly. Well what does high risk mean? High risk means any pregnant lady who has other comorbities like hypertension, diabetes, drug abuse, HIV ect. So I introduced myself to the 3rd year resident, and as I was waiting for her she’s says “ I think someone is paging you, are you going to answer your pager.” I had no idea my pager just went off, I mean I didn’t even hear it ~ it was like a chirp. Man that was embarrassing. That afternoon I saw a lot of diabetic pregnant ladies. These ladies are on the heavy side. If I had not seen them in the high risk clinic, I would have no idea that they were pregnant, I mean some look like they were just overweight.
Later the resident asks me where I from as to make conversation, I mention some cities, and she says “O’ that’s where my boyfriend is from” I was like what does he do? Well my resident speaks English with a Spanish accent and she says her bf got into a neuro-radiology fellowship in what sounded like Harbor …was actually Harvard.” Me “ O, Wow , amazing” I was surprised she was not married yet, because it seems like everyone else is. Aww I’m glad there is hope out there for us single girls (you know who you are—readers). What single girl would turn down a neuro-radiologist boyfriend who goes to Harbor…!!!
Friday, July 6, 2007
I reported to 7am morning rounds at the hospital with the ob team. I was amazed at 7am all of the residents GynO girls and other residents (family med) look so well put together in the morning. They were in full on make up and smartly dressed. I did the makeup thing and looked my best on the first day of rotation. By the end of the first day in sweltering Texas heat my makeup completely melted away I looked and felt tired. On the second day, I resolved not to wear makeup making my morning routine much more simple. I wake up at 5:30am, leave the apt by 6:30 and meet team by 7:00am. Not to mention I extremely sleepy and tired in the morning. I am just surprised that as tired as the residents are they manage to look very good that early in the morning. I know for a fact that the residents must be exhausted. I spend another day in high risk clinic/ women’s ob/gyn clinic. We also had didactic lectures during lunch.
One person was late to lecture today and tattled on his resident. Big mistake, this person was done with Gyn surgery before 11am and was told by an intern to go home since there is nothing left to do. Let me count the mistakes:
1. He went home when there was a lecture at 11am by our cleckship director
2. He was late to lecture
3. He listened to a first year Intern and actually went home
5. He told the cleckship director the actual name of the Intern who told him to go home …big mistake
Things this person should have done:
1. After surgery he should have stayed on campus until 5pm (it’s a 8am-5pm job)
2. Do not listen to a 1st year Intern who just started the same time you did
3. Do not name names….have the balls to admit your mistake and apologize.
Lessons I learned today: As a med student…
1. Do not tattle tale on your resident.
2. When the faculty, senior residents, junior residents, and attendings have a meeting, à We sat in a U-shaped arrangement of tables where everyone can see eachother and their feet. If you’re a medstudent hoping for a excellent evaluation à please do NOT take off your shoes where everyone can see your bare feet, = some one actually did this.
3. Do Not actually walk around the conference room without shoes off with the attendings and faculty around.
4. Do not rest your feet on another chair like you are lounging on your lazy-boy at home during the conference
I got to tell you all these things actually happened.
Monday, July 9, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Good stuff Fallon, I really like your entry on things 'not to do'. It seems so obvious...yet I could see myself being stupid and not thinking about it.
Ps. About 90% of the family med students failed the quiz today...including me!
So who's the idiot who tattled on his resident? ;)
So is the internet gonna be fixed by the time I get there? If not, I'm gonna have to cut someone.
Post a Comment